As a courtesy to our audience, Maritime Commons will provide a daily compilation of nationally-relevant Federal Register Notices. To provide comments for the public record, follow the Federal Register link for each individual notice. Please note, the Coast Guard cannot respond to comments on these notices outside of the Federal Register.
The Coast Guard announces the availability of Change-1 to Navigation and Vessel Inspection Circular, or NVIC, 01-13, Inspection and Certification of Vessels under the Maritime Security Program, or MSP.
The MSP serves as a means for establishing a fleet of commercially viable and militarily useful vessels to meet national defense as well as other security requirements. NVIC 01-13 provides guidance to assist vessel owners/operators, Authorized Classification Societies and Coast Guard personnel with the inspection and certification of vessels under the MSP.
This change does the following:
• Clarifies the process for the issuance of the Certificate of Documentation to the vessel during the reflag process
• Adds a note to the equivalency provisions for inspection of MSP vessels subsequent to initial certification
• Clarifies the trial period requirements for automated systems in machinery spaces
• Includes interim provisions for those vessels seeking to operate with minimally attended or periodically unattended machinery spaces
• Makes other technical changes to NVIC 01-13.
Links to all pertaining documents:
Change-1 to NVIC 01-13 is effective June 4, 2015.
This blog is not a replacement or substitute for the formal posting of regulations and updates or existing processes for receiving formal feedback of the same. Links provided on this blog will direct the reader to official source documents, such as the Federal Register, Homeport and the Code of Federal Regulations. These documents remain the official source for regulatory information published by the Coast Guard.