As a courtesy to our readers, Maritime Commons is sharing the content of U.S. Maritime Advisory 2019-012 to alert our readers that heightened military activity and increased political tensions in the Persian Gulf, Strait of Hormuz, Gulf of Oman, Arabian Sea, and Red Sea continue to pose serious threats to commercial vessels. Associated with these threats is a potential for miscalculation or mis-identification that could lead to aggressive actions. Vessels operating in the Persian Gulf, Strait of Hormuz, and Gulf of Oman may also encounter GPS interference, bridge-to-bridge communications spoofing, and/or other communications jamming with little to no warning.
For full details, download or read the entire Maritime Advisory.
Vessels operating in this area are advised to establish contact with both UKMTO and the U.S. Fifth Fleet NCAGS Watch, and to include both on all update or incident report emails. By including both addressees on each email, awareness will be enhanced without creating an additional reporting burden.
- Fifth Fleet Battle Watch: + 973-1785-3879, and email details to: CUSNC.BWC@ME.NAVY.MIL.
- Fifth Fleet NCAGS: CUSNC.NCAGS_BW@ME.NAVY.MIL or +973-3904-9583 or +973- 1785-0084.
- UKMTO: firstname.lastname@example.org or +44 (0) 2392 222060. UKMTO advisories and warnings are available at http://www.ukmto.org/.
- U.S. Coast Guard: Per 33 CFR 101.305, all suspicious activities, breaches of security, and transportation security incident events must also be reported to the U.S. Coast Guard National Response Center at +1-800-424-8802.
- For maritime industry questions about this advisory, contact GMCC@uscg.mil.
- Supplemental information may also be found on the MARAD Office of Maritime Security website at: https://go.usa.gov/xUKsb.
This message supersedes and cancels U.S. Maritime Advisories 2019-004 and 2019-008. This advisory will automatically expire on February 3, 2020. For more information about U.S. Maritime Alerts and Advisories, including subscription details, please visit http://www.marad.dot.gov/MSCI.
This blog is not a replacement or substitute for the formal posting of regulations and updates or existing processes for receiving formal feedback of the same. Links provided on this blog will direct the reader to official source documents, such as the Federal Register, Homeport and the Code of Federal Regulations. These documents remain the official source for regulatory information published by the Coast Guard.
Categories: Commercial Vessel Compliance, Navigation Systems, Safety
Leave a Reply